Travel System Definitions


Here I would like to help you start thinking about what you need in terms of a travel system and items included within it. Sometimes I refer to it as a baby pram system, just to keep you on your toes.

On that note, I think it’s a good idea if I clear up a few things around the definitions used in the market (in the UK at least)


Baby travel systemBaby Travel System: An entire system which allows you to add a travel component to your pushchair, e.g. a car seat. These travel systems usually contain a raft of extras including the walking pushchair, car seat, carrycot, accessories such as footmuffs, umbrellas and raincovers. All of these elements fit to one frame and are interchangeable. Some are even interchangeable between brands. Confusing yet?

This is the base unit, a sitting chair on wheels that you push, if that makes it any simpler. This forms the foundation of every travel system, but they can exist on their own as units without the additional travel system.

Buggy: Another word for pushchair


StrollerStroller: A more lightweight pushchair that usually doesn’t and cannot have the accompanying travel system attached to it. Sometimes this is interchangeable with buggy and pushchair. This is why I wanted to outline how I see the descriptions breaking down!

car seatCar seat: 
This is self explanatory, but travel systems only include car seats for infants (up to 9 months or 18lb). These usually fix to car with an isofix system or seatbelt system, and can be slotted into the frame of the puschair to form another part of the travel system.


carrycotCarry Cot: This is the lie flat, usually quite large, part of the travel system – often just used for really young babies. It attaches to the frame of the pushchair and can be clipped off to transfer the baby back into the house. Some babies use these instead of moses baskets to sleep at night. (a secret dual purpose. In desparation I have treid this countless times!)


pramPram: This is a bit of an old school word for a lie flat unit on wheels as you can see here. Like a carrycot on a frame. No one really buys these anymore so now this term has evolved over time and now generally is a word that covers everything that a child sits in on wheels!



Clear as mud?!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>